For any rock band seeking success, an iconic and unique logo holds the key to whether they will succeed or not. In the world of rock music, packaging is very crucial and one of the best ways to package your music is through your image, the image that you portray to the fans. Rock n roll by nature is showy and every band tries its level best to get a logo that will be easily recognizable and portray their identity. Band logos are also important for merchandising, putting on drum heads, and for tattoos by fans. Band logos played a big role in the success of some of the major rock bands around the 1970s and 80s. Heavy metal bands of the 70s and 80s put much emphasis on logos and this paid off. The 70s and 80s heavy metal bands had some of the most iconic band logos that fans still remember up to date. Rock bands like AC-DC, the Beetles, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Black Label Society, white zombie, DIO, Black flag, the rolling stones, ministry, the Addicts just to mention a few, are some of the rock band that had iconic logos, logos that became very visible on t-shirts, caps, shirts among other materials. For modern day rock bands trying to create iconic band logos like those of the 70s and 80s, here are the 7 essential elements in an iconic band logo.
1. Simplicity. A good logo needs not to be complex or very flashy. One thing to put in mind is that less is more so focus on coming up with designs that are simply and easy to identify regardless in what format it appears. Simplicity in this case means keeping the band logo clear with very simple lines and avoid stuffing too much to the logo. Ensure that the fonts are simple and easy to read. By looking at logos of some of the most successful heavy metal bands of the 70s like AC-DC, the rolling stones, the Beetles, ABBA, you can get an idea of what we mean when we talk of simplicity.
2. Uniqueness and Originality. Before coming up with a band logo, try to come with something as unique as possible as the essence behind making a band logo is to make you stand out from other bands. Brainstorming among the different members of the band may help you to come up with something unique, something never seen before. A unique logo means the band will be easily identifiable by the logo and won’t be confused with other bands. Try to use symbols and styles that have never been used before.
3. Versatility. Try to come up with a logo that is appealing to the eye both in colored and black and white. The band logo should not lose appeal when printed in reverse colors or in other styles. For a band logo to be iconic and capture the attention of fans, it must be appealing in all formats in which it appears.
4. Relevance. The band logo should reflect the rock star image and should be represent the feelings of the band members. Try to come up with a logo that relates to the name of the band and portrays the true rock mentality. Putting relevant and eye catching images in your logo will also help to make it iconic.
5. Scalability. Make a logo that will look tick and iconic regardless of where it is placed or the size. Make a band logo that will still be visible and less complicated even when made smaller. The logo should also look great not just on the web but even when printed on any surface, be it a cap or just in form of a tattoo.
6. Timeless. The best band logos normally stand the test of time. Logos for bands like the AC-DC, ABBA, Rolling stones, and the beetles are some of the logos that have stood the test of time and are still recognizable even up to today. Try to come up with good designs that will leave a long lasting impression on the fans.
7. Memorable. Finally, try to come up with a band logo that will leave a long lasting impression on the fans. Come up with a simple, beautiful and easy to remember logo that will stand out from the rest. The above are some of the 7 essential elements that will guide you in making an iconic band logo, one that will leave a long lasting impression on the fans.